Model and actress Emily Ratajkowski is a talented, beautiful woman. She’s appeared in several movies, she’s worked with famous brands, and she even has her own swimsuit line. Of course, this isn’t all she’s known for. She also has an amazing body!
Emily is a lucky lady. Yes, she’s clearly genetically blessed but most models today work very hard to stay fit and healthy.
I was curious to find out what Emily’s diet and fitness routine are and I wanted to share it with you guys too!
EMILY’S BODY TYPE
Like a lot of models, Emily is an ectomorph body type. This means that it is fairly hard for her to gain muscle. Naturally, her body is thin and lean.
Even though ectomorphs have a harder time gaining weight than other body types, they can be skinny fat. This basically means that they are skinny but have a higher percentage of body fat.
If you’re not sure which body type you are, take my free body type quiz to learn how to exercise and eat according to your body type.
EMILY RATAJKOWSKI’S DIET
As an ectomorph, Emily is naturally thin. But, despite common misconceptions, ectomorphs can still overeat, gain weight, and look skinny fat.
So, what does Emily eat to stay fit and healthy?
In interviews, she said she likes to start her day with a filling breakfast. When she’s at home, she has yogurt, granola, and toast.
And when she’s out, she usually goes to her favourite pastry shop to grab a kouign-amann.
She also likes to have black coffee first thing in the morning.
Emily typically eats a salad or sandwich for lunch if she’s not working. And when she’s on set, she’ll just have the catering as everybody else.
But since she wants to be healthy she makes sure not to overindulge.
She also likes to have a veggie juice with all of her meals. Her faves are turmeric and beet juices.
For dinner, she enjoys eating out with her friends. It’s her time to socialize and catch up.
If she’s trying to be a bit healthier she’ll have sushi. But her absolute favourite is Italian food.
Emily tries to limit her salt and processed sugar intake, but she enjoys treats sometimes. She especially likes popcorn and candy, and she still drinks alcohol occasionally.
Overall, she wants to make her body feel good. She tries to eat healthy but she’s not very strict with her diet. If she craves a pastry, she’ll just enjoy it without feeling guilty :)
WHAT TO LEARN FROM EMILY’S DIET
If you’re an ectomorph like Emily, I suggest following these guidelines:
- Ectomorphs naturally have a high metabolic rate, which means they burn through glucose (carbs) quickly. So if you are an ectomorph, your best strategy is to follow a diet relatively high in carbohydrates, moderate in protein and low in fats.
- Make sure to eat healthy carbohydrates – whole grain or natural carbs at every meal, such as fruit, potato, sweet potato, green vegetables, oats, brown rice, whole grain pasta and bread.
- Avoid food that contains too much salt. It can make you feel bloated and heavier than you are.
- If you need to lose weight, you can eat at a slight calorie deficit of about 100-300 calories.
- If you don’t need to lose weight, make sure you eat enough. To learn how calculate your ideal calorie intake, read this blog post.
- Try to stay balanced, and don’t beat yourself up if you have a treat. I like to eat healthy 80% of the time and have a treat 20% of the time. :)
One of the things I love about Emily’s way of eating is that she is not too strict. She eats healthy most of the time, but if she wants to eat a pastry or pasta, she does it.
I’ve tried many different types of diets in the past. But eating this way (“intuitively”, but focusing mostly on healthy foods) is by far the best! And no diet is necessary.
EMILY RATAJKOWSKI’S EXERCISE ROUTINE
Even though Emily has an amazing body, she doesn’t really have a strict workout routine. She doesn’t have a personal trainer and she doesn’t go to gym regularly. But she still makes sure she’s active, especially outdoors.
LOW INTENSITY CARDIO
Emily does enjoy being outside with her friends, so she goes on lots of long hikes and walks around LA.
I also LOVE walking, and I always recommend it . Walking is great for losing weight and keeping you lean!
- It burns fat. Because walking is a low-intensity workout, your body uses glucose and fat to produce energy.
- It isn’t intense on your body. You can do it more often and for longer than other workouts.
- Walking is especially great if you want to slim down your legs.
One thing that I love about Emily’s fitness routine is that she does what she enjoys.
This is the type of fitness that you’re going to stick with, and I’m a huge fan of making exercise fun. Walking doesn’t even feel like a workout to me anymore, and here are a few ways to make it even better!
LOWER INTENSITY RESISTANCE TRAINING
Emily knows that doing cardio is not enough. She knows that including resistance training into your fitness routine is very important.
If you want to get toned and avoid the skinny fat look, you need to do some type of strength training.
And, if you, like Emily, prefer a slim and lean look, you should avoid lifting heavy weights and focus on bodyweight training. You can do low intensity resistance circuits or even yoga and pilates.
EMILY LOVES DOING YOGA
Emily’s favorite type of resistance training is yoga. She does it a few times a week and that seems to be working great for her. :)
Yoga works your entire body without using heavy weights that could make you bulk up.
Yoga is also good for your:
- Digestive health
- Mental health (it can help you relax)
- Sore muscles
Hope you liked this blog post! :)
Love Rachael xx
Featured Image credit: lev radin / Shutterstock.com