Binge eating is something that a lot of girls struggle with. I didn’t realise how common it was until I started my Instagram page and had SO many people open up to me about their binge eating problems. So just know that you’re not alone!
I occasionally have problems with binge eating too. I don’t eat a lot of typical junk food but sometimes I can binge on healthy stuff like muesli or peanut butter!
WHAT IS BINGE EATING
Binge eating is pretty much where you eat a large quantity of food in a short period of time. Usually the person continues to eat even though they are full and feel like they can’t control it. Binge eating is actually an eating disorder. If you feel like you cannot overcome it on your own, please seek professional advice. Binge eating can really affect you mentally and can hinder your weight loss results.
TIPS ON HOW TO OVERCOME BINGE EATING
These are some of the methods that have helped me, plus a few other ideas that have helped others.
- Identify what types of foods you are binging on and don’t buy these foods if they trigger you to binge.
- If you feel like you are about to binge, do something to distract yourself. Things such as going for a shower and brushing your teeth, calling a friend or family member for a chat or going for a walk can help.
- Binge eating is usually a response to something emotional or a situation that you have put yourself in, rather than hunger. Identify what this is and do everything possible to prevent yourself from being in this situation again. If it happens when you are home alone (most likely), then if you know you are going to be home alone, plan to go out!
- Don’t starve yourself or restrict yourself from certain foods. Starving yourself is not a healthy way to lose weight anyway but can trigger you to binge. And if you know that you definitely can’t live without something, then don’t! Just make sure it’s all in moderation. Allow yourself a few times per week when you are allowed to eat naughty food.
- Here’s a different one. On my phone, I keep photos of girls with awesome bodies and look at these photos when I’m feeling like I want to binge. The motivation from these photos stops me from binge eating.
- If you are still really struggling, there are some supplements out there that are fat burners and help to suppress appetite. I am not really an expert on this so please make sure you do your research before turning to supplements.
- Talk to someone about your problems. It is always beneficial to have someone or several people around you to provide support and distract you in those times when you need it!
- Please please please seek professional advice if you cannot overcome this on your own. It is nothing to be ashamed about and is more common than you think.
I hope that this advice is helpful and you can overcome binge eating! All the best to you!
Love Rachael xx