Home / / How to Overcome Binge Eating

How to Overcome Binge Eating

By Rachael Attard, Updated Aug 9, 2020
how to overcome binge eating

Binge eating is something that a lot of girls struggle with. I didn’t realise how common it was until I started my Instagram page and had SO many people open up to me about their binge eating problems. So just know that you’re not alone!

I occasionally have problems with binge eating too. I don’t eat a lot of typical junk food but sometimes I can binge on healthy stuff like muesli or peanut butter!

WHAT IS BINGE EATING

Binge eating is pretty much where you eat a large quantity of food in a short period of time. Usually the person continues to eat even though they are full and feel like they can’t control it. Binge eating is actually an eating disorder. If you feel like you cannot overcome it on your own, please seek professional advice. Binge eating can really affect you mentally and can hinder your weight loss results.

TIPS ON HOW TO OVERCOME BINGE EATING

These are some of the methods that have helped me, plus a few other ideas that have helped others.

1. Identify what types of foods you are binging on and don’t buy these foods if they trigger you to binge.
  2. If you feel like you are about to binge, do something to distract yourself. Things such as going for a shower and brushing your teeth, calling a friend or family member for a chat or going for a walk can help.
  3. Binge eating is usually a response to something emotional or a situation that you have put yourself in, rather than hunger. Identify what this is and do everything possible to prevent yourself from being in this situation again. If it happens when you are home alone (most likely), then if you know you are going to be home alone, plan to go out!
  4. Don’t starve yourself or restrict yourself from certain foods. Starving yourself is not a healthy way to lose weight anyway but can trigger you to binge. And if you know that you definitely can’t live without something, then don’t! Just make sure it’s all in moderation. Allow yourself a few times per week when you are allowed to eat naughty food.
  5. Talk to someone about your problems. It is always beneficial to have someone or several people around you to provide support and distract you in those times when you need it!
  6. Please please please seek professional advice if you cannot overcome this on your own. It is nothing to be ashamed about and is more common than you think.

I hope that this advice is helpful and you can overcome binge eating! All the best to you!

Love Rachael xx

Rachael is an Australian born certified personal trainer and nutritionist who holds a Bachelor degree in Science.

After struggling for years to find an exercise and diet program that is tailored to women striving for lean and toned body with no bulk she designed her Lean Legs Program. This program is tailored to each body type and focused on helping women get toned but feminine bodies, without getting bulky.

Her mission is to empower women and help them stay in shape in a healthy and balanced way.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

13 comments on “How to Overcome Binge Eating”

Simone says:

hi , I’m 18 years old , at the beginning of the year I wanted to get rid of some fat on my stomach , in the beginning I lost some weight , but I use to live on just bowls of lettuce ? .. I never use to enjoy sugary foods but suddenly I just can’t stop eating them , I tried to return back to my normal diet .. but I just can’t stop binge eating and over eating , I’m never sure when I’m hungry but I just continue eating . I’ve put on 4 kgs in two months .. I really need help

Rachael Attard says:

Hi Simone, aww I’m so sorry to hear that! Have a read of these blog posts here and here as it might provide some help as to why this is happening. I think just try to focus on having 3 meals and 2 snacks per day. Try to make them healthy 80% of the time and allow yourself to be more flexible the other 20%, and avoid starving yourself hun. It will take a while to get back to a normal habit, but I promise you can do it! xx

Ciara says:

Hi Rachael,
    Have you ever tried carb cycling and would you recommend it for someone trying to lose that last bit of fat? Really helpful post! X

Rachael Attard says:

Hi Ciara,
      I have actually and I find that it works really well for me when I’m eating at a calorie deficit. I usually try to have two higher carb days in the week (each around 3-4 days apart). I eat a higher amount of calories (closer to maintenance) and a much higher percentage of carbs. It definitely helps me with my hunger so I stick to my program for the remaining 5 days of the week, and also great for keeping my metabolism up. I would recommend it for sure! :) xx

Victoria says:

Hey!
    I just discovered your blog, and I think its amazing!
    I was just recently looking at “Getting Started” and read your post about what you eat daily.
    I was wondering what kind of wholemeal bread do you eat/buy??

Rachael Attard says:

Hi Victoria,
      I don’t buy any special bread. Usually just the Woolworths (local supermarket) fresh wholemeal bread :) x

Sanne says:

Hi Rachel! I am also on my fitness journey and I eat a strict diet from monday to saturday which my trainer had made for me. On sundays I have my cheatday where I can eat whatever I want. Do you also have cheatdays? My trainer says that cheatdays are very beneficial and will even help you with weight löss as long you don’t overdue it. What do you think about cheatdays? Are they also binging? Love your blog though!

Rachael Attard says:

Hi Sanne,
      I think cheat days are totally fine, as long as you don’t overdo it (same as your trainer!). They can help boost your metabolism and prevent hunger so as long as you don’t “binge” then they can definitely work :) x

Louise says:

I hAve so much issues with this that I think it’s my middle name :-) especially the week before my period I have it…

You write in your post, that I should call a friend or heck photos of of bodies and so and its DEFINATELY worth a try. But I know when I really plan to go out and buy that Ben and Jerrys and bag of chips I’m convinced it is a great idea and I will feel so good eating it. I did this this Wednesday actually… I ate whole Ben & jerry’s and bag of chips after eating a huge lunch. that’s 3k calories at once… Feels like I’m binging more than anyone.

Can you send me those pictures of hot bodies please?:-)

Rachael Attard says:

It is pretty common! I feel like that before my period too, I seriously just want to eat junk food all the time :( Haha I’ve been posting some photos on Facebook so follow me on there and I’ll make sure I post more for you ;) I guess everyone has different methods of dealing with it and it is very difficult, you just need to find out what works for you! Good luck babe xx

Justyna says:

This is great and such a helpfull post! I think I have this problem as well.. :/ but now maybe I can handle it better ;) thank you! ;* p.s I also have pictures of beautiful and fit girls on my phone! :p

Rachael Attard says: