Victoria’s Secret Angel Martha Hunt has walked in the Victoria Secret Fashion Show every year since 2013. And she just seems to be getting more and more beautiful! So I wanted to check out what she does to stay in perfect shape and share it with you guys :)
Like a lot of Victoria’s Secret models, Martha is very open about her diet and workout routine. She’s really into fitness, healthy eating and wellness and she often posts about it on Instagram. Here’s what I managed to find out about Martha Hunt’s diet and workout routine :)
THE MARTHA HUNT DIET
Martha says she doesn’t follow any specific diet. She just focuses on eating clean. This means she usually avoids eating anything processed and eats fresh, wholesome food.
For example, when you’re eating clean you should:
- Pick whole grains, not refined grains (choose whole grain brown rice over white rice, for example).
- Make vegetables a priority! You can eat as many as you want. :)
- Eat fruit if you have sugar cravings, and not indulge in processed sweets.
- Focus on eating fish, poultry, and eggs for protein. Try limiting your red meat intake.
I recommend that you try to eat as clean as much as you can, just like Martha and Kim Kardashian do. Clean eating is all about limiting the processed foods you eat. Try eating food in its most natural state. It’s better for you and it tastes delicious! I have a FREE 7
WHAT MARTHA EATS IN THE MORNING
Martha admits that sometimes her morning routine changes when she’s trave
After walking her dog, she likes making a tasty breakfast at home. Her go-to breakfasts include:
- An ome
llet with vegetables.
- Greek yogurt with fruit.
- Steel-coat oats with quinoa and flax seed. She adds almond butter and berries. They give her energy for the day.
WHAT MARTHA EATS FOR LUNCH
Martha’s favourite lunch is a salad. She makes a few different types, and she loves anything with kale, avocado, and other vegetables. But her most common salad is one with tuna or chicken served on an arugula base.
Martha doesn’t get bored with salads. She says that she loves making her own dressing at home. She mixes white balsamic, olive oil, French Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, lemon, and garlic together to make it.
I love a good salad dressing too, and they can make salads taste amazing! Most salad dressings are high in fat and calories though, especially if
WHAT MARTHA EATS FOR DINNER
For dinner, Martha likes to eat soba noodles with panko chicken breast. She also likes serving grilled salmon with vegetables and a whole grain like brown rice.
When Martha is traveling or out with friends, she likes to try a variety of different types of foods. She likes sushi, Thai food, and Indian food.
WHAT MARTHA EATS BEFORE A SHOW
When she’s getting ready for a show, Martha doesn’t typically change much. However, she does focus even more on clean eating. Her healthy diet isn’t just good to keep her looking good! She says she notices that her hair and nails look stronger when she eats well.
Also, Martha actually ends up eating a bit more than normal when she’s preparing for a show. She does five hard workouts a week (instead of three), so she burns a lot of calories.
Of course, occasionally, Martha does indulge in sweets and other processed foods. She enjoys the occasional scoop of ice cream or Rice Krispie treats. :)
And after the VS show, Martha and the girls traditionally go for pizza and burgers as a treat.
DIET TIPS FROM MARTHA HUNT
- Martha takes different supplements to make sure she’s having enough vitamins and minerals in her diet. She usually mixes them into her green juices and smoothies in the morning, especially if they don’t taste great.
- She drinks water with electrolytes before working out which helps her with muscle contraction and regulates her blood pressure.
- Martha takes really good care of her gut health. She takes probiotics regularly. You may not realise it but your gut health is super important. It can seriously affect your whole body and there is evidence that gut problems can cause autoimmune diseases.
- Don’t obsess over calories. Martha doesn’t count calories or macronutrients. Instead, she believes her body will be the most balanced with a healthy mix of carbohydrates, protein, and fat from natural sources.
MARTHA HUNT’S WORKOUT ROUTINE
Martha likes exercising, and she says her general fitness philosophy has changed over the past five years. Before, she didn’t really enjoy it that much. But now she sees exercise as a form of meditation and self-care. It is an hour all to herself, and she likes knowing that she’s improving herself.
She wants to be careful about not overdoing exercise, so she tries to be in tune with what her body needs. If she’s really sore one day, she might skip her gym class and go for a power walk instead.
Martha says that she always pretends that the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show is just two days away. This helps her stay motivated. :) You can watch Martha chat with her Barre instructor Andrea Rogers about staying motivated in this Instagram video.
And if you also need a bit of motivation, I have something really special for you! I’ve created a 5-day video course which will help you achieve a model like
RELATED POST: VICTORIA SECRET WORKOUT PROGRAM
MARTHA AND WORKING OUT WITH SCOLIOSIS
Martha has scoliosis, which means that her spine has a curve to it. People with scoliosis should consult with their doctor, physical therapist, or other experts to make sure their workout routine is helping their spine, not hurting it.
To help her scoliosis, Martha had spinal fusion surgery. These surgeries are obviously different for everybody, but they are done to help stabilize the spine and relieve pain. She’s open about the process, and she works with doctors to advocate for more research on scoliosis.
Martha also regularly does yoga to help her back. Yoga doesn’t just help you stretch out tight muscles. It also builds your core strength, which can help your back stabilize.
View this post on Instagram
Yoga was the first exercise I took up after my spinal fusion! Even though I was cleared by my surgeon, I felt fragile for a long time. It is beneficial for pain relief, not claiming it will fix your spine! Consult a doctor before trying exercises for #scoliosis ❤️ ^swipe! It’s important to lengthen your spine and breathe into your concave sides❤️ #YogaforScoliosis classes @yogaunionnyc
MARTHA’S GENERAL FITNESS PLAN
Martha thinks that doing different types of workouts help her have better results. She likes to make sure she’s strengthening her muscles and toning them without making them bulky. To do this, she goes to Pilates classes, does Barre, and does strength-training with her trainer in the gym.
Even though she walks her dog every day, she also does other types of cardio. A lot of the training sessions she goes to mix cardio in with resistance training. Victoria Secret models love to do boxing (Adriana Lima, Gigi Hadid, Candice Swanepoel) and Martha is no exception. Boxing is a great cardio option, and it gives you amazing abs and arms!
Martha often works out with fellow model (and her friend!) Elsa Hosk. They both like to box and do barre at Andrea Rogers’ Xtend Barre studio.
MARTHA’S EXACT FITNESS ROUTINE
Typically, Martha does three one-hour long workouts every week. That might not seem like much, but remember she also goes on a walk every day and does yoga regularly! When she’s preparing for the Fashion Show, Martha works out five times a week.
HER FAVOURITE EXERCISES FOR TONED ABS
When it is time to work out her core, Martha likes doing these four moves:
- Oblique Crunches: 3 sets of 10 reps on each side
- Side Plank Dips: 3 sets of 10 reps on each side
- Mountain Climbers: 2 sets of 30 seconds
- Standing Reach (she uses 5-10 pound weights): 3 sets of 10 reps on each side
BALLET-INSPIRED WORKOUT FOR ABS AND LEGS
In this workout, Martha worked out with Ballet Beautiful to target her abs. Here’s what she did:
- First Position March: 4 times per side. To do this, lay on your back. Raise one leg to your hip while performing a crunch.
- First Position March with a Twist: 4 times per side. Do the above exercise but twist to the opposite side with each crunch.
- Fifth Position Lift: 4 times per side. To do this, sit on your back with your legs extended. Use your abs to lean back while extending one arm behind you.
- Fifth Position Lift Pulses: 4 times per side. Do the above exercise but pulse at the hardest point.
- Side Bend Stretch: 15 seconds per side. Sit cross-legged. Lean to one side.
Repeat this whole routine at least twice.
A lot of ballet-inspired workouts are similar to Barre and Pilates exercises. Here’s a full-body Pilates workout that will help you target your abs and butt just like Martha’s workout above.
I hope you liked learning about the amazing Martha Hunt! I love her dedication to wellness, and I think we can all learn from her healthy, balanced attitude toward diet and exercise. :)
Love Rachael xx